Frugal people often fall into lifestyle and consumer habits that are held in common amongst large swaths of people across continents and maybe even across the globe. So therefore I'd like to share a list of some of the items that I have discovered to be favorites among those who enjoy frugality. Note that many of these frugal folks are actually quite wealthy and live debt free lifestyles. Therefore remove from your thoughts, the idea that frugality is a necessity for "poor" people. In fact, if you have read Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko's book entitled "The Millionaire Next Door", you will have discovered that many families and individuals with large net worths, actually have some VERY frugal habits. In fact, I would suggest that frugality may be one of the stepping stones towards acquiring and retaining REAL assets.
Partial list of Commonly held household items by Frugal Folks:
Liquid Dish Soap
Garlic for medicinal use
Cotton cloths-- ( often cut from old clothing/towels)
Microfiber cloths- used for cleaning and washed and re-used repeatedly
Partial List of Common Activities/Habit of Frugal Folks:
- Composting --- using vegetable peelings and egg shells in your home composting system to create your own nutrient rich soil for use in outdoor gardens.
- Re-using elastics from newspapers delivered to your home
- Washing, drying and re-using clear plastic milk bags for freezing foods
- Washing and re-using marjarine/yogurt containers for storing small household items
- Using water that collects indoors in dehumidifiers/ other appliances for watering indoor/outdoor plants
- Collecting and using rain water run-off from eavestroughs and rain barrels for watering outdoor gardens.
- Washing clothing in cold water
- Hanging Clothes inside or outside on racks or clothes lines instead of using electric clothes dryers
- A love for chopping, stacking and using free firewood and using woodstoves/fireplaces/chimineas and/or other appliances that consume wood and turn out "free" heat
- Using cold leftover tea in the tea pot to water plants.
Peace and Prosperity.