Sunday, June 23, 2024

Evangelism ...Thinking Outside the Box


Hi Folks.

I know that not all of my readers are christians....but perhaps some of you may find this post helpful.

Have been thinking more about evangelism in this modern day world of ours.

I am thinking about evangelism in terms of simply giving more people access to the same church ministries and materials that I enjoy.
Do I enjoy sitting and listening, praying and singing in my church. You betcha! Can I give other people invitations to my church? Sure I can. I know they will be welcomed.

I see a lot of folks suffering needlessly in loneliness... when there are many churches awaiting to welcome them with dignity and respect.

I am not saying that each church will be your perfect match....but at least give churches a try and don't give up until you find one that you can call your own.

I personally do not feel like one needs to be an extrovert to do evangelism. In fact, I don't think you need to speak out loud at all, if that is not your personality.

I am simply talking about giving more people who live in your city, province or country, the same access to the same ministries and ministry tools that you have enjoyed for years.

You can send out invitations to your church. Your church can print up invitations and you can mail them out to the folks in your city. You can mail out bibles, or half bibles, or just one book of the bible, along with a welcome note to strangers in your community.

I personally don't feel shy about mailing preprinted invites to perfect strangers. And yes, it costs something, it costs the price of a stamp and  possibly an envelope if the invite is not in the format of a mailable post card. You can address it simply as "To Resident" or simply "To Welcome Your Household" and then print in the address. 

No need to bare your soul. No need to even share your name. You are simply trying to invite folks out to your church, so that they know where they are welcome.

Do you think it is reasonable to mail out bibles to strangers? Well, I shall leave that up to you. Yes, there is definitely more cost involved. The cost of the bible, as well as the cost of mailing out something that weighs more than a postcard. Is it too dramatic? Is it too imposing? I really don't know. 
But I do know that whenever  I have seen places that have given out bibles for free, that it really made an impression on me. It is an incredibly kind and generous thing, to give a perfect stranger a black and white copy of the real Word of God, including both the old and new testament. What a gift!

Just having access to the Word of God, for me to use in my personal life, and read aloud is a great blessing.

I have a feeling that sometimes folks are just nervous to walk in to a church because they are shy, not because they don't want to learn more about God. When you send a bible to a stranger, you may just be meeting them at their point of need, with a kind gesture of generosity. You really don't need to pressure people to be inordinately personable with you in response to your invitations of gifts of the holy bible.
There is no need for pressure at all! People will follow their hunger for God into your churches and into the Bible. It  is important for the modern church to be consistent in teaching the Word of God, so that the modern Christian Body of Believers can be fully developed and mature in His teachings.

It's about sharing, It's about giving people access to one of the greatest treasures of our time....a copy of the bible that they can call their own, and thumb through and underline and scribble in the margins.
Many of us have not become addicted to the bible apps on our computers or phones. Some of us prefer to get our hands on an actual copy of the bible for ourselves.

Reading an actual printed copy of the bible also helps folks practice their literacy outside of the habits of social media. It enhances literacy and communication skills.

Well that's all for now. I've chatted enough. I would love to hear your thoughts, if you wish to leave comments on my blog..
Have a peaceful sunday,
Carla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here!